Shopping for fall items in July?! The heat index here was 108 yesterday so it seems crazy to start thinking about stocking up on coats, boots, scarves, and other fall essentials. But now is the time, my friends, because the best sale of the entire year is just one week away! The Nordstrom Anniversary Sale (also known as the #NSALE) starts next Thursday, July 14 and today I’m sharing 7 tips to help you get the most out of the sale!
First off… What is the #NSALE? Most of the time when retailers have sales, it is at the end of a season because they are trying to liquidate their inventory to make room for the upcoming season’s merchandise. It makes total sense and is how we are used to shopping, but I find these types of sales are usually a little hit-or-miss because the items that are left over at the end of the season are generally somewhat picked over and the size I need is always sold out! What makes the #NSALE different (and so, so good!) is that this sale occurs before the season begins. This means that for a limited amount of time, you can save up to 40% off of new, fall merchandise that is freshly stocked and brand new for the season. It is the perfect chance to snag that pair of riding boots you’ve had your eye on, a new fall coat, that classic watch that will match everything, or just fall basics that you need in your wardrobe! Because this sale occurs several months before the season begins, today I’m sharing some tips & tricks to make sure you’re ready for when the sale begins next week.
1. Use your Nordstrom Debit or Credit Card to get early access to the sale: The #NSALE runs from July 22 to August 7, but Nordstrom credit & debit cardholders get into the sale a full week early on July 14 (next Thursday!). This is huge because that means you get first dibs on all of the goodies. And because things sell out super quickly, this is a huge advantage. I recommend the Nordstrom Debit card (it’s what I have) because who really wants to sign up for another credit card?! You also earn points each time you use your Nordstrom card that will accumulate and you’ll get back what’s called a “Nordstrom Note,” which is basically like a gift certificate that you can use on anything. You can apply for the Nordstrom Debit or Credit car online here or in any Nordstrom or Nordstrom Rack store.
2. Clean out your closet: I don’t know about you, but at the moment all of my fall/winter clothes are shoved to the back of my closet & are in containers under my bed! It’s kind of hard to think about fall clothing when it’s been a good 6 months since I’ve looked at any of it, so now is the time to clean out those drawers & closets to take a look at what you’ve got! This is also the perfect time to make a little extra room in your closet by making a donation to Goodwill or to selling items on eBay that either don’t fit, aren’t flattering, or items you don’t wear.
3. Make a list: While cleaning out your closet, make a list of things that you need! I like to lay out my clothes on my bed to see what I have a bunch of (for me it is sweaters and scarves) and it also helps me identify areas that are a little bit light so I know what I’m needing to shop for. Don’t forget to take inventory of your shoes/handbags/accessories as well! By making a list in advance, you’ll know exactly what areas to check out when the sale begins & it will help you to not forget anything. This year my “shopping list” includes:
4. Set a budget: This is so important! While the savings during the #NSALE are amazing, you definitely want to have a total spend amount in your mind before you head into the sale so that you don’t overdo it. That’s one reason why I like to make a shopping list beforehand – it allows me to estimate how much money to have put aside before the sale so that I can get all of the things that I am looking for. If you aren’t quite ready to start purchasing fall clothing items yet (or if you just don’t need any!) now is a great time to think about purchasing some of those larger ticket items (also known as “investment pieces” – check out my list of the top 11 pieces worth splurging on here!) such as a great handbag, some leather riding boots, jewelry, or a more expensive designer piece that you’ve had your eye on for a while The key for these more expensive items is to pick pieces that you will be able to use year after year (bonus points if they can be used year-round like a handbag or a watch!). Generally I like to stick to neutral colors, classic silhouettes, and quality materials so that I know I’ll get my money’s worth out of them.
5. Shop early: as I mentioned above, the sale begins on July 14th for Nordstrom card holders and runs from July 22 to August 7 for the public. Make sure to shop early, meaning set your alarm for a little bit earlier & grab a cup of coffee Thursday morning and be ready to shop! Because this is such a unique (and awesome) sale, key items will sell out super quickly. I’m going to have my first round of sale picks live on FoF as early as I can Thursday morning, so be sure to check back then for some of my top choices!
6. Check back on FOF often for shopping guides: I’m going to be creating several #NSALE shopping guides over the next few weeks to help you get the most out of the sale, so be sure to check back often! I’ll also have a widget on the right sidebar (over there —–> above the “currently coveting” section!) so you can quickly scroll through my top #NSALE picks from anywhere on the site.
7. Get a sneak peek of a few of the items that will be included in the #NSALE here! The Anniversary Sale Catalog came out last week, so I have been book-marking some of my favorite items that I have my eye on for when the sale begins. I’ve found that these items aren’t for sale online yet, which is a good thing so that the inventory is available for when the sale begins! I am loving all of the ankle boots, saddle bags, mixed prints, and shades of gray for this season.
Thanks for stopping by! Don’t forget to clean out your closet this weekend & stop by next week for the first roundup of my top sale picks!